To be skilled is a gift, but mastering a specific skill is something more than special. To be exact, we are talking about arts, ceramics, and clay.
A lot of people have skills in arts but only a few could master them well; only a chosen few would advance in the field of art. Ceramics, clay pottery or whatever they call it belongs to the field of art and just by simply watching artists do their job leaves you in awe of their piece of art. It’s just as if they are playing with clay, simple; but really, it’s not as simple as it is.
But guess what? The skills that potters have can just be learned. Yes, you read that right, let me repeat it, it can just be learned. How? Here are some tips that could be of great use for you to enhance and develop your skills. These could help you a lot especially if you are an art enthusiast and still a beginner.
- Of course, you just don’t get in the mud a swim right away. You have to read first and learn about it. There are a lot of reading materials on arts and ceramics available in the market. Not only that, you can also surf the internet and get some information through reading articles from experts and experienced individuals. There are also a lot of blogs available for you to read on the Internet. It’s just a click away.
- Watch tutorial videos. Nowadays, technology is very advanced and with just one click you can automatically watch videos and a lot more on the Internet. Watching tutorial videos would especially be beneficial if you are the type of learner who can learn faster through observing.
- Learn the basics. Everything that we do involves the basics and we always start by learning it. Ceramics is not an easy skill to learn especially for beginners, so learning the primary skills needed is so important. Strive to master the basics, and when you do, you’ll go from there in learning the next level skills.
- When you are learning and developing or enhancing a skill, reading and observing is not enough. You have to put your hands to work, hold some dirt, try it out yourself, and see for yourself how you can do with it. From there you can discover and develop your own techniques of doing it.
- Seek advice from experts. Be humble enough to ask help from those who have been doing it for a long time already. These people have a lot of experiences and have developed and learned techniques through the circumstances they have been through. These artists are the best people to approach if you want to enhance and develop your skills in using clay. There are things you can learn from these artists that cannot find in books too. So it would be best to start a conversation with them now. Don’t be shy.
- Ceramics is a very wide topic to learn on. By researching about it, you’ll be gaining more knowledge, techniques, skills and a lot more information that a beginner like you needs. There are a lot of resources around you that you can use: the internet, books, articles and journals, blogs, and the like. Don’t be lazy, go pick yourself up and search.
- Enroll in short-course classes. If you really want a formal yet short education about ceramics and clay, you can enroll yourself to a specific class. Here you can meet experts and people with the same interest as you. You can share your learnings and you can learn from them as well and apply these learnings every time you put your skill to practice.
It is always fun learning and developing a new skill especially if you are really into it. Those are just some of the tips that could really help you in enhancing your skills in ceramics and clay. Try doing it now and see if it is helpful and effective for you. Be the artist that you’ve been dreaming of and let the world see how great of an artist you are. All you have to do is start.